Sunday, October 10, 2010

mannequin


I think my favorite part of Lit Crawl - SF last night was finding this amazing mannequin at an antiques/second-hand store on Valencia street.


The store owner (I regretfully did not catch the name of the shop) said she's from the 30s. They don't make mannequin faces like this any more:


Her realistic glass eyes and unique, rather prominent nose make her look spookily alive, even as chipped and old as she is. I love her placid expression, as if she were politely listening to some painfully boring fellow at a dinner party. She is of course too well bred to show any exasperation.

I've always found mannequins to be thrillingly creepy and I think some credit must be given to an old Twilight Zone episode called "The After Hours" I watched in rerun as a kid. I've remembered vague bits and pieces of it all these years after seeing it that one time. I just searched on YouTube and found it:






No comments:

Post a Comment