Monday, January 18, 2010

And bamboo leaves drip with a music of dew...


In China, the bamboo symbolizes the scholar-gentleman because of its properties: flexible yet sturdy and evergreen. It is a symbol of longevity and courage in adversity because it does not break even in a strong wind. And since its leaves cast a welcome shade, it also symbolizes benevolence.*




Sitting alone in the hush of the bamboo grove

I thrum my lute and whistle lingering notes.

In the secrecy of the wood no one can hear --

Only the clear moon comes to shine on me. **




The wind blows in the forest of thousands of bamboo

the air is blowing, becoming summer

the sound clears blue winter clouds.***





The mountain-light suddenly fails in the west,
In the east from the lake the slow moon rises.
I loosen my hair to enjoy the evening coolness
And open my window and lie down in peace
The wind brings me the scent of the lotus,

And bamboo leaves drip with a music of dew….
I would take up my lute and I would play,
But, alas, who here would understand?
And so I think of you, old friend,
O troubler of my midnight dreams!****








Notes/Credits:

Location: China (http://slurl.com/secondlife/China/109/67/1994). A surreal and beautiful sim in which you are inside a Chinese brush painting.

I couldn't decide what to wear for pictures in this sim--all black to blend in and look like another part of the painting, or vibrantly-colored to contrast with the grays and blacks? Simple and plain lines or complex and organic frills and outgrowths? Well, I ended up deciding not to make a decision and just took more pictures.

In the first two photos, Marisol is wearing ~*RunoRuno*~ UNDress Cocktail Black, Lelutka --Sasha hair and bare feet by J's. I love the simplicity of this outfit, and how it looks like she's doing a bamboo-inspired yoga pose, blending in with the grove.

In the second two photos, Marisol is wearing one of my favorite go-to dresses--!RP Couture Lucina in Black/Pewter. There's a little alcove in RFyre where Raven Pennyfeather showcases her couture line. The clothes there are less gothy/costume-y than the rest of the store, but still deliciously dark. My friend Karma said this dress makes Marisol look like a black swan. Thanks, Karma! Marisol completes the look with hair by Curio (Betty Boop), LaGyo Noir desire_Caged dove hat and ring and her beloved grim bros ebony swirls heels.

Ah, next, Marisol's new dress from Violator, Bouquet Noire. I love how organic and alive it looks, petals and stamen branching out, vaguely menacing. It clings to Marisol's body as if it had grown from it.

Last, the Tang Dynasty Dress from Designing Nicky Ree. This is probably the most beautiful dress I've ever encountered in SL. I've never seen another texture to match this one; I want to bury my face in its rich silk folds. Her hair--Zero Style's *Nicky*--goes perfectly with the traditional Chinese style of the dress. I love the last photo in this post: Marisol's arms outstretched, triumphant and happy and welcoming the world.

I was inspired to read up a bit on Chinese brush paintings, bamboo art and poetry after visiting this sim. This was a really interesting article on the history and techniques of this art form. And I came across this woman on YouTube. I love her.

***

*http://home.flash.net/~cameron/calligraphy/collection.htm

**"Hut Among the Bamboos," by Wang Wei (698 - 759). Sometimes titled the Poet Buddha, Wang Wei was a Tang Dynasty Chinese poet, musician, painter and statesman.

***"Talking About Bamboo," by Meng Hao Ran, a poet from the Tang Dynasty.

****"In Summer at the South Pavilion Thinking of Xing," by Meng Hao Ran.


3 comments:

  1. this is very inspiring and i will be painting sims stuff al time now lolol hahahh xpxoxoxox hehehhehehe bbz

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can I "love" your blog?
    Come see about us, Social Butterlfy :)i(:... In Highcastle and Karmarkar... join the group. IM Mila Francesca and come hang with us :)

    :)i(:

    ReplyDelete